Sunday, February 20, 2011

Spring in Pennslyvania

Today I saw a flock of geese. They were black specks against a brilliant blue sky, holding formation steadily as their instincts urge them ever faster towards their northern home. For a moment as I gazed at these tireless travelers I felt a pang deep in my heart for the north that I left nearly ten years ago.

As I type this old man winter is growing weary, ever tired of the steady onslaught of sleet and snow, he is nearly ready to pass the torch of the changing season. Everywhere people watch eagerly for the first sign of springs approach, the geese will fly home, and the robins will bare red breasts as they herald the awakening of the earth. Spring could almost go unnoticed as crocus and daffodils peep their courageous heads through melting piles of remaining snow, but soon the hills of Pennsylvania will be awash with green. Spring will be sprung in all sorts of beautiful ways that I took for granted growing up and now as I write about somehow fall short. I miss it all today, the fragrance of Lilacs, and the search for Pussy Willows along bubbling creeks. Standing under trees full of blossoms and feeling enchanted as petals fall softly around you.

Photo from www.enjoygardening.com
Pennsylvania I miss you, mostly because you have some unnatural hold on the folk that share my blood, also I love you a little, but seriously can you beat this?

The slow pace of the southern day.....
My two oldest...Growing so quickly....
 to the even slower pace of a romantic stroll under spanish moss on a moonlit southern night.


Can you find anything sweeter than the first Ice Cream cone of the year? Especially when it comes in February with eighty degrees and a cooling breeze, with one of the most adorable toddler girls ever in the history on man. 

I think not.....but you'll always have a place in my heart.

6 comments:

  1. oh my gosh the ice cream pictures are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the spring up here, I can only hope it comes soon because last night we got a foot of snow. The life up here is so simple.. You can walk through the woods and there is a big chance nobody has ever walked there before. You could find a spring fawn laying in a patch of clover, Experience the sound of the crickets and finding lighting bugs in the night. So many things make this a great place. But everybody has something they love about where they live. I love that PA is not as populated as Florida, We can leave our doors unlocked and not have to worry about anyone breaking in. Although I love Florida for its warm weather, the beach, My family "you", It just doesn't provide me with the sense of peace and quiet as Pa does for me. I love you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Stopping by from MBC. Great blog.
    Have a nice day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi again! Swinging by once more to follow your lovely blog.

    Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! It's Kelsey! Tell Analeigh and alli and aiden and austin that I miss them so much! I hope we get to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete